|Date of Event||Thursday, September 1, 2016|
Mr. Devesh Behera, NABARD, delivered a guest lecture on following topics
- Is Rural Banking profitable in the banking sector?
- How do RRBs cater to differential interest rates given by commercial banks?
- Comparison between Postal Banks and RRBs?
- Why do the rural people prefer microfinance over the rural bank?
- How RRBs solve their problems of NPAs considering they lend mostly to farm activities?
on 1st September 2016.
In his lecture, Mr. Behra explained the origin and functions of NABARD. He also put light on the recent developments and projects taken up by NABARD in and around the campus. Mr. Behera talked about the effects and influence that rural banking has on the economy of India. He has given many real life examples to support the same. Also, Mr. Behera shared with the participants his own personal experiences and professional expertise related to the field.
The lecture successfully concluded with an extensive quality Q & A session where the participants had the opportunity to interact with the guest. In the interaction session, many interesting questions that the participants had put forth has in turn led to an elaborate discussion on the feasibility of rural banking in India, its relevance in a rural setup and mainly the role that mangers can play in the current scenario. Mr. Behra patiently answered all the queries put forth by the participants.
On the whole, the lecture was a success and imparted learnings to the PGP participants of IIM Sambalpur.