Prof. Atri Sengupta holds a Ph.D from IIT Kharagpur. Prior to IIM Sambalpur, she was affiliated with Indian Institute of Management Raipur. She has around 20 years of experience in teaching, research, corporate training and consultancy in the area of Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management. She has contributed a significant number of papers to national and international journals of repute along with management case studies. She is an MBTI certified professional and behavioural trainer for the corporates. She has supervised PhD/FPM scholars from the Behavioural Science as well as interdisciplinary areas. Her research interests include talent management, responsible leadership, and self-regulation. She is passionate about conducting interdisciplinary research. She has handled several sponsored research and consultancy projects independently.
Courses Taught in MBA / Executive MBA:
- Organizational Behaviour I (MBA: core course)
- Managing People and Performance (ExeMBA: core course)
Competency & Talent Management (MBA: HR elective course)
- Organizational Behaviour II (MBA: Core Course)
- Performance Management System (MBA: HR elective course)
- Strategic HRM (ExeMBA: HR elective course)
Courses Taught in Doctoral Programme:
- Critical Research Issues in Management
- Cross-disciplinary Research for Leveraging Organizational Effectiveness
I. Latest Selected Articles
Pless, N.M., Sengupta, A., Wheeler, M.A., & Maak, T. (forthcoming). Responsible Leadership and the reflective CEO: Resolving stakeholder conflict by imagining what could be done. Journal of Business Ethics (Springer; FT50; Impact Factor: 4.141). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-021-04865-6.
Sengupta, A.,& Mittal, S. (forthcoming). Entry-level Job Pursuits intension: Assessing Person-Environment Fit India. International Journal of Emerging Markets (Emerald; ABCD: B; Impact Factor: 2.488). DOI: 10.1108/IJOEM-02-2021-0293.
Pless, N. M., Murphy, M., Maak, T., & Sengupta, A. (2021). Societal challenges and business leadership for social innovation. Society and Business Review (Emerald; ABDC: B). https://doi.org/10.1108/SBR-10-2020-0129.
Sengupta, A., Deb, S.G., & Mittal, S. (2021). The underlying motivational process behind portfolio diversification choice decisions of individual investors: An experimental design. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance, Vol. 29 (Elsevier; ABDC: A). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbef.2020.100452.
Sengupta, A., Mittal, S., & Kuchi, S. (forthcoming). How do mid-level managers experience data science disruptions? An in-depth inquiry through Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis (IPA). Management Decision (Emerald; ABDC: B; Impact Factor: 2.723). https://doi.org/10.1108/MD-01-2020-0099.
Mittal, S., Sengupta, A., Agrawal, N.M., & Gupta, S. (2020). How prosocial is proactive: Developing and validating a scale and process-model of knowledge-based proactive helping. Journal of Management & Organization, Vol. 26(4), pp. 625-650 (Cambridge University; ABDC: B; Impact Factor: 1.935). doi:10.1017/jmo.2017.80.
Singh, S., Mittal, S., Sengupta, A., & Pradhan, R.K. (2019). A dual-pathway model of knowledge exchange: Linking human and psychosocial capital with prosocial knowledge effectiveness. Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 23(5), pp. 889- 914 (Emerald; ABDC: A; Impact factor: 4.805). doi.org/10.1108/JKM-08-2018-0504.
Sharma, S.K., Sengupta, A., & Panja, S.C. (2019). Mapping corruption risks in public procurement: Uncovering improvement opportunities and strengthening controls. Public Performance & Management Review, Vol. 42(4), pp. 947-975 (Taylor & Francis; ABDC: B; Impact Factor: 1.510). doi.org/10.1080/15309576.2018.1535984.
Mittal, S., Singh, S., & Sengupta, A. (2019). Multidimensionality in organizational justice-trust relationship for newcomer employees: A moderated-mediation model. Current Psychology, Vol. 38(3), pp. 737-748 (Springer; Impact Factor: 2.051). doi.org/10.1007/s12144-017-9632-6.
Malodia, S., Singh, P., Goyal, V., & Sengupta, A. (2017). Measuring the impact of personality-celebrity personality congruence on purchase intention. Journal of Marketing Communications, Vol. 23(5), pp. 493-512 (Taylor & Francis; ABDC: B). doi.org/10.1080/13527266.2017.1322125.
Sengupta, A., & Ali, E. (2017). Immediate survival or long-term growth? The case of an Indian Organisation. Vikalpa, Vol. 42(2), pp. 111-121 (Sage). doi.org/10.1177/0256090917699709.
Sengupta, A., Bamel, U., & Singh, P. (2015). Value proposition framework: Implications for employer branding. Decision, Vol. 42(3), pp. 307-323 (Springer). doi.org/10.1007/s40622-015-0097-x.
Sengupta, A., Venkatesh, D.N., & Sinha, A.K. (2013). Developing Performance-Linked Competency Model: A Tool for Competitive Advantage. International Journal of Organizational Analysis, Vol. 21(4), pp. 504-527 (Emerald, ABDC: B). doi.org/10.1108/IJOA-05-2011-0488.
II. Latest Case Studies
Sengupta, A., Kalra, M., & Murugesan, D. (2021). GBS India: Should remote working continue after the lockdown? Ivey Business Publishing. Product Numbers: 9B21C012 (Case), 8B21C012 (Teaching Note).
Sengupta, A. & Sonawane, B. (2020). Collective resistance to collective collaboration: A leader’s introspection. Emerald Emerging Markets Case Studies, Vol. 10(1). https://doi.org/10.1108/EEMCS-09-2019-0229.
Sengupta, A., Gupta, A., & Singh, P. (2016). MD Solutions: Working from home. Ivey Business Publishing. Product Numbers: 9B16C048 (Case), 8B16C048 (Teaching Note).
Sengupta, A., Misra, Y., & Singh, M. (2016). Viom Networks: Transformation and the next phase. Ivey Business Publishing. Product Numbers: 9B16M147 (Case), 8B16M147 (Teaching Note) 7B16M147 (Supplement Material).
III. Book Chapter
Sharma, S., Sengupta, A., & Panja, S.C. (2019). Grounded theory: A method of research inquiry. In R.N. Subudhi and S. Mishra (Eds.), Methodological issues in management research: Advances, challenges, and the way ahead (pp. 181-202), UK: Emerald Publishing.
Bamel, U., Sengupta, A., & Singh, P. (2016). Emerging challenges for HR: VUCA perspective. Emerald Group of Publishing. ISBN : 9780992680084.
Sponsored Projects (Completed):
- Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India funded project on “Extent of R&D and Innovation in MSMEs in West Bengal: Strategies, Determinants and Effects”.
- AICTE sponsored 5-day FDP on “Management Research: Methods & Statistics” as FDP Coordinator
Consultancy Projects (Completed):
- “A Project on Employee Satisfaction Survey” for Hindustan Copper Ltd., Govt. of India, 2014.
- “A study on organization restructuring, manpower planning and succession planning” for MSTC Ltd. under the Ministry of Steel, Govt. of India, 2013-14.
- “A study on identifying training needs for implementing turnaround strategy” for Westinghouse Saxby Farmers Ltd., 2013.
- “A study on identifying training needs for leadership communication” for McLeod Russel India Ltd., 2013
- “A study on identifying training needs of estate executives and its implementation” for McLeod Russel India Ltd., 2011-12.
Corporate Training (Executive Development Programmes):
- Programme Director -- Enhancing Academic Leadership Skills for Principals and Vice Principals of CBSE Affiliated Schools (Phase 1 and Phase 2), organized by IIM Sambalpur in 2020.
- Programme Director – Achieving Leadership Excellence for Sr. Management Teams of Vedanta Aluminium Ltd., Organized by IIM Sambalpur in 2020.
- Programme Director – Enhancing Managerial Effectiveness for Indian Postal Officers, organized by IIM Sambalpur in 2018.
- Programme Director – TEQUIP 12th Faculty Development Programme, organized by IIM Raipur in 2017.
- Programme Director – Leadership Development Programme for Principals and Education Officers of Chhattishgarh, organized by IIM Raipur in 2016.
- Programme Director – Estate Executives’ Plantation Management Programme (One-month duration) for McLeod Russel India Ltd., 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Programme Director – Induction Training Programme for Single Window Operator of Allahabad Bank (1 month for 250 employees), 2014.
- Programme Director – Strategy Summit for Westinghouse Saxby Farmers Ltd., 2013.
- Conducted several corporate training programmes on behavioural topics. Some of the participating organizations are Indian Oil Corporation; Canara Bank, Jaya Shree Textile, Aditya Birla Group; NIPM; Hooghly Chamber of Commerce; State Productivity Council; ABC India Ltd.; Shalimar Industries; CESC Ltd.; Chhattisgarh Judiciary; NIT Raipur; CET Bhubaneswar; GNRC Ltd. Assam; etc.